Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sunday Already?

Again...what a week! 
The past few weeks have been full.  Emotionally, physically and every other ----ally word in between. 
Monday started out pretty normally...Nate was still very much in recovery mode and the Olders were starting school again - so I was looking forward to some down time. 
You know - time to catch up on laundry, clean the bathrooms, clean up the yard, grocery shop...all that fun stuff. 
And we were doing pretty good. 
We completed what we had to, did homework, worked on Science Fair projects and nursed Nate - who was still decidedly unhappy and mopey - tired, eating poorly and waking every 2-3 hours at night because of discomfort. 

Then came talk of snow. 
Here, south of the Mason Dixon Line, anything more than 6" shuts down the area for at least a day. 
I wasn't too alarmed, I'm used to snow.
Then, my Wonderful Weather Guy started to sound the alarm.  Fist time in 2 years that I've ever heard him mention "heavy snow". We started to prepare. 
I began to pick up the side yard from all the tree limbs that had come down.  I was just planning on putting them in a big pile to deal with after the snow melted.  But my neighbor spied what I was doing and volunteered to bring the limbs to the mulch pile for us.  HOW AWESOME!
In the midst of pulling limbs, I stepped on something sharp in my shoe - so sharp I felt it go up and into my foot.  Up as is way up.  Then I felt the blood pooling in the bottom of my shoe.  So I took a look.  Here's what I found (I had to save the monstrosity to photograph for posterity):
The binky puts in in perspective, huh?

A quick phone call to the doctor to ascertain that they dispensed tetanus shots (couldn't remember my last one and having read about John Roebling, I wasn't about to NOT get one).  And *poof* out of the blue, another neighbor shows up to help move branches.  She graciously took the boys as soon as we were done loading and I got down to the doctors office. 
My foot still hurts.  I haven't been able to run since Weds morning - I think the nail pierced the plantar fascia. 
Better heal quick.  I have a race in less than 3 weeks. 

And THEN came the snow. 
They weren't kidding. 





And after all that, Jim and I came down with the "Watson Flu".  Worst cold we've had in a while. 
Sudafed is a beautiful thing, indeed. 

Nate is slowly improving.  He is asking for food now and sleeping in 3 hour increments.  He was decently rambunctious last night at church - it was good to see him feeling good, but I had forgotten how exhausting corralling Nate is. 
Oy.
Benjamin is giving us a run for our money.  He is climbing everything.  He will pick up a stool or a chair or anything else he can move to use as a stepstool to get on a countertop.  His vocabulary is expanding.  It now includes "I wub ooo," which melts my heart. 

Today we just chilled and it was relaxing.  I think everyone is a bit out of sorts from being off-routine recently.  Sam is almost done with his Science Fair project and Caroline is well on her way with hers.  Sam didn't even fuss when it was time to do homework (he got to write about dinosaurs, which is probably why...but whatever - I'll take it).  The kids are now cozied up watching "Walking with Dinosaurs" .  We made banana bread, grocery shopped this morning, did a general pickup and just vegged out. 
Even God got a day of rest...right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home