Sunday, January 12, 2014

New Adventures

Today we went to The National Museum of the American Indian. 
Very cool.  Most definitely worth a trip back.  They had lots of interactive kids exhibits and a passport stamp system to get the kids to learn about different tribes.
The best part was that there was an hour long dance exhibit of Crow Indians from Montana.
We got to see a bunch of different dances.
My favorite was the dance the Elder Woman of the tribe did.  In a strange way, I felt kinship with her.  It almost felt like she was blessing everyone watching her.
CJ, Nate and I also participated in a Friendship Dance with the Crow members and anyone else that would join us.  They were filming and the exhibition will be on the Smithsonian Channel.  
Caroline liked the shawl dancer the best.  I was proud of her that she had the courage to get her picture taken with her after.  



We packed lunch to eat and ended up eating sitting in the Castle, since many of the other museums did not allow outside food or drink.
A good day in DC.

We've been struggling to get back into a routine after Christmas.  Everyone has been slacking a little.  I'm at a loss how to get things back on track.  I've noticed the kids being meaner and shorter tempered.  Nate has been particularly susceptible - having *major* tantrums in public on the past two days. Including a particularly epic tantrum during Mass last night.   I feel anxious and on-edge and stressed taking them all out - especially if we have to leave in a hurry when/if Nate loses it.  I know we can't stay in the house all the time...but I really feel like hibernating for the next few months.
I also witnessed Caroline participate in a "mean girls" moment.  I am formulating my talk with her and will do everything in my power to nip this in the bud. I could not address it as it happened because my first instinct was to scream/freak out/ground her for life and I a not convinced that would be the most helpful.   I was aghast when I heard the mean spirited exchange with another girl, about another girl that nothing constructive, positive or uplifting could come out of.   Ugh.
The longer I spend at this parenting thing, the less I know.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home