Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Dinner

It's 8:15. 
I'm sitting and typing at the kitchen counter because Caroline is *still* eating her dinner.  She has been increasingly picky and finally we stood our ground saying, "You're not going upstairs until you eat". 
The kid is stubborn. 
Wonder where she gets that from?
And so I sit. 
And sit.
And sit.
2 hours so far. 
She has eaten half an apple and part of a bowl of cheerios. 
One or the other has to be gone before we move.
At this rate we'll be here all night. 

Today was another snow day.  Luckily, I was on the ball last night and devised some Star Wars based lesson plans.  Sam wrote a nice letter to Luke Skywalker and is using a character encyclopedia figure out how to manage information in an index and how encyclical books are set up.  Kindergarten just isn't what it used to be.  Sheesh.  I didn't have to do this stuff until second grade.  Those people that say that kids are not expected to read in kindergarten grossly misinformed.  Sam was expected to write in complete sentences from the first day of school.  Thankfully, he can do that.  I can only imagine how frustrating it is for kids that are not as prepared or think in a less linear manner than Sam does. 

Nate did some letter writing, too.  Just letters - but we managed to get all of "Nathanael" written.  He kept saying," But I already wrote an A, Mama.  I don't have to do another one." 
Sorry, kid.  Lots of A's. 
He did decide he wanted to learn to swim today.  I noticed he was upstairs by himself and quiet for just a bit too long, so I investigated.  I knocked on his door and he answered in his underwear saying, "Welcome to the party, Mama!"  He then showed me all the different styles of swimming and diving that one could safely perform on carpet. 
We also had his pre-op appointment for his upcoming tonsils/adenoids/tubes surgery. 
Nate is petrified of healthcare providers.  When we drive by our doctors office, he still talks about the ambulance coming for Benjamin and taking him away while he and Sam had to stay with Amy and the Doctor.  He is scared that he will get taken away, too.  He sees a stethoscope and freaks.  And don't even try to look down his throat or in his ears.  Needless to say, many doctors appointments result in holding Nate in a headlock so people can do what they need to do. 
And today they needed blood.
Oy vey.
And, of course, since there was no school, *all* the troops were in tow.
Our doctor and all her staff are awesome.  They just get it.  It's a family practice - they see the dynamics and they aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and help.  It's wonderful.  Between the doctor doing her notes while keeping an eye on CJ, Sam and Ben; the Assistant helping me to hold Nate and calm him and the phlebotomist that had Nate mesmerized with his stories of planes - we got enough blood for a CBC out with nary a tear.  AMAZING!   It does take a village...

And Benjamin.  Dear Benjamin.  Such a cutie.  Thank God. 

BREAKING NEWS:
THE APPLE IS GONE. 
I REPEAT, THE APPLE IS GONE.

G'night folks...this Mama is worn out. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home