Sunday, October 21, 2007

Boston

Good news! I didn't get called into work today. Hooray! And while there were many, many things that we could have done around the house, since it was 75 degrees and sunny without a clould in the sky, we decided to drive into Boston and hang around Fenway before the madness of game 7. After all, the last time there was a game seven in Boston was 1986.

We had a really nice day.

We parked in the Prudential Center garage, but should have parked on Westland St (2 blocks away) where it was $10 cheaper. Oh, well. We walked all over. Through all the new additions that they put on the Pru, through the Christian Science Center and then through the Fens over to Fenway Park.


During the time we were at Fenway, it wasn't too crazy - so we decided to go to the Boston Beer Works for lunch. GREAT food. We had quite possibly the best clam chowder I have ever tasted and the biggest and best salad I've eaten for five dollars. Oh - and dessert was amazing (mud pie - chocolate and coffee ice cream on an Oreo crust - Caroline thought it to be excellent - as you will see by the picture).





There were lots of televisions so we could watch the Pats/Dolphins game (yawn). The biggest snafu in our day came when we were eating our dinner. Jim and Caroline were on one side of the table and I was on the other (closest to the windows). There were four or five shelves of old beer bottles lined up in the windows about ten feet over my head - they added to the character of the place, I thought as I was sitting down. Seems that my guardian angel was working overtime today because one of the bottles fell off the shelf during our meal and landed right in the backpack that I had put our jackets in that was sitting next to me. If I had been six inches to my left and sitting across from Caroline (like I usually do to try to keep her in line), I probably be dealing with a nasty head wound and a concussion. But, thank goodness, the bottle landed harmlessly into the backpack and did nothing but get our jackets really dusty. With the money the Beer Works manager was nice enough not to charge us because of the "incident", we were good little capitalists and went to the Souvenir Store and got Red Sox t-shirts for everyone. Smalls included (though it won't fit him for a while).

After that, we went back to the Pru (after meandering through my old stomping grounds at Northestern) and we got to play and get our wiggles out in the garden that they put in the middle of the new wing.


Mommy and Caroline slept almost all the way home...

So we had a great day. AND we ate enough at the BeerWorks that I won't have to cook dinner and we can just relax and get ready for the week ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home