Plants
I've always wanted to try to grow a garden but have been scared to try.
Maybe it's because I've spent so much time involved in the feeding and watering of humans over the past few years...or maybe it's because I couldn't handle anything more on my plate...whatever it is...I haven't done it.
This past Halloween someone put some kind of gourd / squash / pumpkin thingy in our side yard. It was well enough hidden that I didn't notice until about May - when I was weeding and found some gorgeous yellow flowers that were just too pretty to pull up.
Good Thing!
I have to tell you...I'm getting so much joy from caring for this plant and watching it grow. The kids refer to the plant as our "Gater Garden" (as in the Gourds to be named lATER). I've been researching the flowers and hand pollinating them as needed (yes, we cover pumpkin sex in homeschool). We were worried because we had over 20 flowers at one point and they were all male. But this past week, we've noticed some female flowers with the beginnings of fruit. There are 4 that are definite (fingers crossed they don't get eaten - bunnies were going to town on one of the female flowers earlier) and one definite maybe...We'll see what we get in a couple of months. I may be inspired to do a more intentional garden next year.
The success with the Gaters inspired us to do a kitchen experiment in hydroponics. Basil, rosemary and lemon mint have all rooted and are almost ready for transplant. Next time I will separate all the species...but I wasn't that smart this time. I would love a kind of kitchen shelf above my sink with special lights to have an indoor herb garden...I'll have to put that on the list for when we redo our kitchen.










0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home