In the Midst of Week 14
We're getting into the routine of school, play and Zoom Dance.
Just in time for dance to end...but hopefully we can establish a new routine once dancing starts up again. The Zoom style classes will continue for the summer, at least.
Safety-wise, I think it's possible to some in person dance classes with MUCH smaller classes and masks, but I'm thinking that theatre programs might be tough.
We don't even have a plan for Vacation Bible School or summer theatre camps.
We'll have to see.
So much waiting and seeing.
This is a lesson in patience and letting go. Especially for the person that likes to have everything planned out with multiple contingencies. #anxietyforthewin.
Patience Sucks.
With the extra down time, protests, riots, political debate and laws being passed, I'm trying to take this as a time to examine my prejudices - to make myself a more open, thoughtful person.
The more I look, the more deeply ingrained tendencies I find I have.
It's pretty bad.
I'm doing my best to work through them...establish where they come from and why...but...I'm feeling decently miserable for having them in the first place.
So that's that.
We're actually getting in a groove with school.
We're getting to bed early (tough in a neighborhood with lots of kids that are on summer break), getting up early and getting done with school by 2.
The sign on the door says "School is in Session from 8-2. We can play after 2pm".
Most days there is a knock on the door at 2:01.
And that is awesome. :)
I'm so glad.
The boys are usually light saber battling (those suckers are a good 6 feet long) and Caroline is either face timing or social distance chatting with her friends across the street.
We're getting out to be with folks outdoors at parks more often - hoping that Moms Group from church can get some decent run around time in for these kiddos.
And some adult-talking time for this Mama.
Tseitle and PD's favorite place to hang out is on the bathroom vanity.
Tseitle curls right up in the sink.
It is SO. STINKING. DIFFICULT. not to turn on the water sometimes.
She's not a baby kitty anymore, but the name Tiny Tseitles has stuck.
Nate and I went strawberry picking twice with a yield of 23 pounds of juicy, delicious berries. 10 pounds were inhaled within a day (!) but we have 13 pounds flash frozen and stashed away in the freezer. Blueberry season starts next week.
Peach season should be imminent, as well. I do miss our back yard peach trees.
The kids made Jim a key lime pie. I think the only ingredients were lime juice and sweetened condensed milk. It was fantastic.
Gravity-Allergic Boy got his cast off.
He had his arm to his face on the way back from the x-rays. He had a funny look on his face, so the x-ray tech inquired if he was okay. "Yeah. I'm just smelling to see how bad my stank is."
Fantastic.
Just Fantastic.
We went to Almost Heaven Harpers Ferry, WV and socially distant adventured with friends who live here and also who now live in Texas.
Having so many of my favorite people together in one of my favorite places was wonderful.
We passed our homeschool review.
![]() |
| And I thought it was difficult to get 4 kids into a picture. Try 12. |
![]() |
| "Hey, Mom! I caught a fish!" Benjamin - that fish is dead. "Yep! Can I bring it home? Please? " |
![]() |
| Nate and Sam spent much of the afternoon floating in the river looking for old pieces of brick or pottery. We may be witnessing some underwater archaeologists in the making. |
![]() |
| The younger boys dug and made dams all afternoon. |
![]() |
| You have to dig to be an archaeologist, right? He didn't get the memo that you don't have to dump the sand all over yourself, though. |
![]() |
| Some of my fellow Mamas. These women challenge me and make me better. Every. Single. Day. I'm so grateful. |
![]() |
| One of my Happy Views that I missed so much when we were in Oklahoma. |
Had the reply back from the district in less than 24 hours.
Hooray for "Providing regular and thorough instruction to your children as required by the state of Maryland."
His front teeth are growing in.
The gappy grin I love so much will be gone, replaced with a handsome big-boy smile.
I'm so excited to see who he will be...and catch myself wondering how it's possible for all of the Urchins to be Big Kids already. 14 years with Little Kids.
On to the next Stage...
Caroline is covering the Civil War in school. Her text spends a fair amount of time on Sharpsburg / Antietam and the Emancipation Proclamation. So we took a field trip.
Caroline is covering the Civil War in school. Her text spends a fair amount of time on Sharpsburg / Antietam and the Emancipation Proclamation. So we took a field trip.
It is SO cool to hear, "Wow! I saw this in my book!", "That's the Dunker Church!?", "Oh - I totally get how they couldn't tell what troops were where - you can't even see 50 feet ahead of you the way these hills are!" and "You can walk across Antietam Creek. Why did Burnsides need the bridge?"
In the next couple weeks, as things re-open, hopefully we'll be able to get to more places.
The virtual tours are good, but it's not like being there.
Today she spent two hours learning about the 54th Massachusetts, Ft Wagner and Shiloh / Corinth.
I see more Adventures in our future.
Ford's Theatre is tops on the list. DC is going into Phase 2 of opening on Friday...I hope opening the museums are in the plans...
![]() |
| At the start of the Sunken Road. |
![]() |
| Not quite amber waves of grain, but still so pretty. |
![]() |
| And WHO wouldn't want facial hair as EPIC as that?!?! |
![]() |
| Doing their best to mimic the post in the picture |
I have more to blog about, but am running short on time as the kids need this space for dance class.
Have a great week. :)
























0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home