The End of Week 10
So I missed the beginning of Week 10.
Despite having all activities cancelled, there's still so much to do.
Activities are like Jell-o. They expand to take up the space allotted.
Kids will be taking dance classes via Zoom this summer and we're trying to get Sam set up with at least a virtual Boy Scout troop. Jim is still working out of the basement closet, we're still plugging away at school. We're making masks when we can, praying with our friends on Zoom, doing lots of Facetimes and watching Mass on Saturday nights. Now that the weather is nicer and the lawn is in the "needs 2 mows a week" stage and we can do some more hiking, we're all a bit happier.
Social Distancing has become the new normal. The longer it goes on, the antsier the kids are getting. They want to see their friends. They want to do REAL dance. They want to go places.
I get that. I truly do.
COVID has turned me into a home loving introvert, though.
I'm *gasp* playing board games.
I've read 4 books in the past 10 weeks. That's some sort of new league record.
I still want to adventure.
I dream about living in my She-Shed on the Gulf of St Lawrence...but my time alone is a lot more comfortable now.
Not that I get much of it...if I can pee by myself I have to consider that a victory...
If I start liking puzzles...you'll know I've lost it.
I was listening to my Favorite Hobo's newest podcast about saints. Blessed Peter Kibe really, really, really, really blew my mind, as did Blessed Natalia. So much so that we sat down as a family and figured out what each one of us could do to be heroes this week.
The boys decided to make cookies for the garbage men - going so far as getting up at 6:00 to have the cookies baked and ready by the time the truck went by at 7:30.
They were greatly appreciated.
Caroline decided to leave a sign of appreciation for our Postal Workers.
She did a great job! SO many languages.
Last Saturday we ventured into Baltimore. One of our favorite restaurants, McCormick & Schmick, was wholesaling their seafood and produce for jaw dropping prices. We went in a got a LOT of tilapia, crab, crab legs, lobster, rainbow trout, scallops, produce and (of course) Lemon Drops.
Hugs from Auntie Melanie were a much welcome bonus.
Benjamin needed to be adequately protected when cutting onions. Because I wear contact lenses, I'm impervious to onions. The kids had NO idea what happens to most people when working with them. The goggles from science class were our only defense.
In homage to our Family Heritage...gin & tonics with dates & crunchy peanut butter were a welcome treat. I just got my Grandmother's recipe for raisin bread. I can't wait to try to make it this week.
We have been doing our best to add art into our homeschooling. Not being artsy AT ALL, it can be challenging - especially because the kids enjoy drawing and crafting so much. In a prime example of imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, Benjamin spent a good amount of time drawing kitty cats one morning. Caroline has been making beautiful drawings and working on bracelets for her friends. Benjamin also spent time doing a self portrait and was absolutely horrified when he discovered he forgot his mouth. So, in COVID fashion, he added a mask!
We all helped to make Nina a sign for her birthday this week.
We also surprised some friends for their birthday and did a Ding-Done-Ditch leaving donuts on the front porch. Watsons don't do well with clandestine operations.
We know that things are getting at least a little back to normal when we're able to get our regular groceries in the mail from WalMart. Never have we been so happy to have paper towels (we're weaning off these - we've found we're becoming proficient with rags) and toilet paper (sticking with disposable here. ALWAYS)
Church is open for prayer a few days a week. The lighted Sanctuary Lamp has never looked so beautiful to me. It was nice to know that, even though I was the only person in the building, I was not alone.
We had a DressUp Bingo game with Edge on Tuesday night. As a cautionary tale to not take fashion too seriously - especially when choosing a prom dress - I did my hair in 1994 style and put my junior prom dress on. My kids decided that the 90s must have been exhausting.
Nate added to his cast collection this week. 4 in a year.
Nice.
Not broken, just a significant distal ulnar sprain. The ortho knows him well enough to cast it.
Smart woman.





















0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home