The End of Week 12 (I think).
Not that I enjoyed people being sick or unemployed or suffering...I simply appreciated having all My People near me.
State Parks are opening up and we've spent the last three weekends exploring places we haven't been before. It's always nice to go to new places - we've conquered Annapolis Rock on the Appalachian Trail,
Patapsco State Park
and (almost died of exhaustion climbing) Sugarloaf Mountain.
I would like to get to the ocean in the next few weeks. It has been a long, long time.
Maybe even to Delaware to the Harriet Tubman National Historic Site.
But the National Parks need to open first.
One step at a time.
We're keeping on with school. Had to put a sign on the door saying THE KIDS CAN PLAY AFTER 2 because there were so many kids knocking. Frederick County Schools bailed on the distance learning early. School was supposed to go until the 17th. But, so many parents complained that they ended the 5th.
Distance Learning is hard. REALLY hard.
Homeschool is IS much easier.
The parents were being put in an unenviable position.
I cannot CANNOT imagine trying to homeschool while working full time.
It just wouldn't work. A body can only do so much well.
After that, it's all diminishing returns and the kids get the short end.
If the folks end up distance learning in the fall...I hope it gets better for everyone.
I don't know a single teacher or student that was pleased the way the last quarter went.
With face-to-face Homeschool Reviews being switched to a portfolio submission, I've had to get everything together for each child to submit before 6.20. I think I finished the curricula overview, materials used, testing material, written journals, art, music, health, volunteer hours and PE. All I have to do is submit.
Submitting homeschool portfolios is kind of like the IRS when submitting taxes...you know in your heart that you're doing everything you can to do things the correct way and provide all the needed documentation...but...if they've got it out for you, you're going to have to produce more. The kids present SO well in face-to-face interviews, so that's what we've done. The online portfolio is new. And with SO much being new and different...I have found that, especially recently, I don't do new well.
I can't imagine they'd come after anyone for this semester, seeing that there are two reviewers for 2000+ homeschoolers in Frederick County...but still.
So here I am, living my best Homeschool Mama Life, drinking a vodka tonic while piecing together portfolio submissions...
We did decide on a curriculum next year for Caroline. She was not excited to homeschool for high school. She really, really,really, really, really, really wanted to go to high school. Which we're okay with. But, at this point, with the sh*tshow that COVID has made our schools, we ALL decided that now was not the time for that experiment.
I think if we can get her involved more locally with friends she can see on a regular basis, that homeschool will be the best option.
Academically, there is no doubt that homeschool is superior. No doubt AT ALL.
But Frederick County doesn't allow homeschool kids to participate in extracurricular activities - so essentially - that's all she'd be going to school to do.
Until there is a COVID 19 vaccine, I can't see theatre or choir performances becoming a regular occurrence. So homeschool it is for now.
We'll asses further next year...But for this year it will be Oak Meadow.
Beginning Composition, A Hero's Journey (literature), Biology, Algebra, Health, Drawing & Design, World History & Geography and Spanish.
Fingers crossed.
I have a lot of work to do to make tests. But once they're made, we're good.
So. It's on like Donkey Kong.
The kids got their dance costumes for their "virtual recitals". We'll take more formal pictures next week, but these came out great.
They're finishing up classes now and then starting new virtual classes with a different (closer) studio that may have more of the family environment that we're looking for.
![]() |
| Let's get Loud! |
![]() |
| Men in Black |
![]() |
Hip Hop. He wants to wear this All. The. Time. |
![]() |
| Another Man in Black |
![]() |
| Get a load of these two. They get into character SO well. |
We did more COVID cuts. Nate was being Nate and not sitting up straight. I told him if he didn't sit up, then I would give him a Mohawk.
True to Nate Form, he proceeded to lay down over the stool in the driveway.
So Mohawk it was.
As much as I never thought I would let a child of mine have (let alone shave it myself) a Mohawk, it suits him.
![]() |
| Sam was decidedly more cooperative. It helps that he's still afraid I'm going to cut his ears off with the clippers. |
![]() |
| We did have some weather roll through after haircuts. OH MY GOODNESS weather here doesn't compare to weather in Oklahoma. It's almost boring in comparison. I'll take it. ![]() |
The peonies in the side yard did magnificently this year. I go over, take a smell and feel like I'm in Meum's backyard with the brook on my right, the house on the left and the Flansburg's Antique Shop in front of me. It's nice.
We also tried to replicate Bacci's pascha bread. It turned out good for a first try. We're putting it in the regular rotation. It warms my heart to think of the kids making the same bread as their great-great grandmother.
I call this my Okie Barn. I see it most mornings when I'm walking and it just makes me smile.
Have a great week.
























0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home