Saturday, August 21, 2010

Due Date

Today was my official due date.
Needless to say, I'm glad that Nate was evicted a bit early. I can't imagine how big he could have been (or how long he could have hung on).
Can you imagine being this huge?
And now that I'm (at least a little) smaller, I can't imagine being as large as that picture either. =-)
Because Nate's delivery was planned, it was very different than Sam and Caroline's births. The actual delivery part was tougher (I have bruises over my belly to prove it) and things were made a bit more interesting by me developing some sort of morphine allergy (If I could have ripped the skin off my body I think I would have). But, so far, the recovery seems to be easier. Because Nate weighed so much, he had to have heel sticks multiple times a day to test his blood sugar, but they were fine. Nate lost so much weight initially that we were told he may not be able to go home with us if he didn't stabilize and suggested we supplement his diet with formula. Knowing both the other kid's histories with sensitive stomachs, we balked at that. We were so fortunate that the maternity unit was relatively quiet and we got oodles of time with the lactation consultant. She was awesome (spent two hours with us on one day!!) and we were able to implement strategies that got us on a better track. Nate has gained some of his weight back and we only have to go to the pediatrician for a weight check. Hooray!!!
Now we're working to get into a better day/night routine. Today was our first full day together as a family of five. While everyone had their moments, things went better than we could have expected. Caroline's mother hen instincts appear to be kicking in and Sam has been strangely protective of Nate. I hope it lasts. The name Trippy has so far stuck with the kids for Nate. There are worse things...at least it's cute. And yet again, even though life is crazy and he has only been around for a few days (I don't even have my staples out yet), I just can't imagine life without this little (8lbs 14oz little?!?!) grey eyed, brown haired, mullet sporting man. We are so blessed that I'm overwhelmed. =-)
Here are some pictures from the past few days...





Sorry no pics of Nate and Pops...we'll do better.


Pictures courtesy of Grampy & Grampa and Nina & Pops. Who (along with Ria and Auntie Dr Chrissy) did a lot of extra work this week so Jim and I could have some alone time getting to know Nathanael. Thank you just can't cover it. It was huge to know that the kids were having a wonderful time (before they realized that their lives would be turned upside down)!!!

Here are some pictures that we were able to take. There weren't many of them, but since I'm not sure the next time I'll be able to post, I figured I would put them up. We're trying to get back in a routine in preparation for school to start and just to make the transition to Nate being around (maybe) a bit easier for everyone involved. I can hope, right?!?!





2 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

So happy for all of you! I loved the video of the big brother and sister singing to him. You said this delivery was planned -- why was that?

Btw, I weighed 8lb 10oz and was two weeks overdue. Thankfully my mother hasn't held a grudge against me my whole life. :)

10:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm glad your mother forgave you, too!
My mother tells me that I'm the reason she can't sing anymore - she screamed so loud when I was born that she lost her singing voice.
Nate was planned because the other two kids were born by section. I didn't have a choice. Which, looking back - was okay. I'm glad he came out when he did weighing as much as he did. It was big enough. =-)
Have fun sending the kids back to school in the next few weeks! The pics you have put up are great. Oh - and so glad you found Cody. Nice to have the family all together again, I'm sure.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home