Thursday, February 27, 2020

Almost Farch

Thank goodness there is an extra day in February this year. 
We've named it Farch. 
We'll need it to recover. 
The last of the dance showcases have happened and we've had a lovely week of rest. 
Unfortunately, last week we were shocked to find out that the child of a family friend passed away at the Naval Academy.  Shock and sadness still are the prevailing emotions.  The town got together at the GVAA football stadium in David's honor on Sunday.  The news reported a hundred people there.  I counted 300.  Many folks from St Tim's and from the Academy.  We didn't all know each other, but were able to take comfort from our ever expanding shetle. 
There is no other place I would rather be than right here, right now. 

Jim is nearing the end of his school quarter.  It's all about papers and tests and articles'.  To keep him (as) sane (as possible), I try to get us all out of here so he can have peace to work. 
The kids all finished a book about John Wesley Powell.  Powell lost an arm in the battle of Shiloh and led an expedition down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. 
After searching for a good hour, we found his grave in Arlington Cemetery. 
The boys paid him homage by sitting on his grave and reading their favorite chapter from the book aloud. 
I was worried that we would get reprimanded for sitting in the middle of the graves, but it seemed like a fitting tribute. 

Caroline recently finished watching (over and over and over again) Bobby Kennedy for President. 
She made sure we stopped by all the Kennedy graves.
"Humble" was the word that kept popping into my brain. 

We also accidentally happened upon the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.    I can't remember a time when I've seen Nate stand still for so long as when he was watching. 

Getting through school this week.  Some things are going well.  Some things we need to improve on. 
It's a process. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home