Saturday, October 25, 2014

Redux

I was all set up to blog.
"Finding Nemo" is playing and I ask Sam to get my netbook upstairs.  After 13 minutes with nothing procured, I send up Caroline to find out what's going on.
This results in a brawl, taking 5 minutes to deescalate.  Sam then brought down Jim's computer, NOT mine.  So I start blogging on that machine, only to have it run out of juice and power down.
Then, after taking an hour to put him to sleep, Benjamin woke up from his 20 minute nap.
I get everyone all cozied up, only to notice Benjamin standing on the kitchen counter, "I need a Bubba, Mama."
Now the movie is on, Ben has a bubba, snacks have been obtained and I am hoping for at least 6 minutes of quiet.  Hopefully I can update that post Blogger ate last night. 
It's only taken me 40 minutes to get this far.
Fun stuff. 

Soccer today was fine.  Walkersville is certainly one of the weakest teams in the league, but the kids are getting  better.  When Sam was playing I witnessed some of the worst parenting ever.  The team we were playing was bigger, faster, better and more aggressive.  There were kids on the other team a full head taller than Sam!  In Sam's defense, he did get his feet on the ball, which is much more than he would have a few weeks ago, These kids were good players.  Their parents were awful spectators.  One mother proclaimed her son a "failure" if he didn't score, especially against "these" kids".  Yelling things like "Get OPEN.  Come ON! Be aggressive!" as the kid pummeled into a teammate with the ball, trying to take the ball for himself and issuing reminders such as, "You only have 1 more minute to score!  MOVE IT!!!!".  The poor kid didn't even look like he was having fun. 
Sam, on the other hand, who is one of the weakest players on the weakest team, runs off the field with a huge smile saying, "Did you see that, Mom?  I kicked the ball!  That was awesome!"  I realize the kid won't be getting any soccer scholarships or even realistically play soccer past elementary school, but at least he had a good time. 

I am realizing how much I haven't been writing down recently.

Last week Caroline was on the altar serving during Mass.  It was an extra long service and after almost 70 minutes, Benjamin was cooked.  We were sitting in our normal spot in the front row, which happened to be right in front of CJ.  The boy wanted nothing more than to be on the altar with his sister.  While Monsignor was doing the announcements, Benjamin eluded our grasp and ran up onto the altar, grabbing Deacon Tim's hand.  Caroline's face turned fifty shades of purple in pure mortification.  As much as we wanted to save her, we knew that getting him would cause a MAJOR disturbance and Deacon winked to say it was fine, so we let it ride.  We picked him up at the back of church after the recessional. 
It took CJ a good day to calm down.
We'll have a good laugh about it years from now, but not until Caroline exits the "I can't believe they were looking at me!" phase...

I finally finished the skirt I was working on for Caroline.  It took me about 8 hours to finish by hand.  As my Mother so nicely reminded me, that makes it at least an $80 skirt, right?  ;) 
Hardly. 
But Caroline loves it and it's longer than anything I can find in stores for girls her age.  I have plans to start another one with the leftover fabric, but it's nothing I have to do right now.  All I needed to know was that I could sew a skirt by hand, it may be a while before I take on another project. 
Now it's nice to have an afternoon to chill.  I'm trying my hand at freezer crockpot cooking tonight with a couple of my friends.  We'll see how it goes. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home