Friday, October 03, 2014

Don't Judge.

It's Friday afternoon and the boys are glued to the screen watching the "Cash and Treasures" episode that's all about Herkimer Diamonds.
They're feeling like adventurers and are pretending that they can have their own tv show, too... "Hey!  We've been there!  We know how to do that!" 
Kind of neat. 
The better part is that Caroline got a ride home from "Little Flowers" and we don't have to be anywhere or do anything until tomorrow. 
Amen. 

I would be lying to you if I said I hadn't thought about opening a beer. 
I'll wait until 5. 
Jim has been away and the kids have not been sleeping.  I've also managed to somehow re-aggravate my sore leg.  Grrrr.
It's new opportunity.  It's a time to learn.  A time to do new things. 
But sheesh.  I wish it were easier. 

We survived the first month of school.  We're in a routine.  We've done a decent job sticking with the "One Kid, One Activity" mantra...except with Caroline, who earned an extra one time per month activity by improving her grades. 
Homework is going okay.  First grade homework is much easier than kindergarten.  It's spelling words and reading.  That's it.  I'm not complaining...Sam is a lot more independent and needs much less help...
Third grade homework includes 30 minutes of reading per night (they're reading Robinson Crusoe), spelling words (the last batch included the words "decaffeinate", "exoskeleton" and "interior") and math facts (multiplication).  Caroline loves the reading and word studies.  She HATES the math.  My hope this weekend is to copy the "Schoolhouse Rock" songs onto CD so she can listen and help her learn that way. 
Nate *loves* school.  He and Sam both wore a pink t-shirt on Oct 1st for Cancer Awareness Month to impress girlfriends in their class.    It was adorable. 
The boys are now sluicing legos and pretending to find emeralds.  It's pretty cool to see them use their imaginations this way. 
It has been a tiring past few days, though, especially with Jim gone.  There has been more than one occasion where I've wanted to lock myself in the bathroom with a glass of Jack Daniels and Little Debbie  snacks. 
Who am I kidding?  I DID do that. 
It was an awesome three minutes until the fingers started reaching under the door and voices where inquiring, "Mama?  What you doing?"

We went up to Cunningham State Park last week to play.  The kids spun in the tire swing so much I thought they would puke.  I was fearful for the interior of my car on the ride home, the kids thought it was fantastic. 




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home