Tuesday, July 23, 2013

He Just Won't Sleep.

Running blocker outside Nate's door.
Again. 
I hear his breathing slowing, so I know he's relaxing, but I'm afraid to look because he'll get riled up again.

A good, though tiring, day today.  We walked around the Antietam National Battlefield.  Both Sam and Caroline earned Junior Ranger Badges.  Nate got in a fight with gravity and lost (evidenced below).  Benjamin and I both survived to take on another day.

*Have to say that I was very impressed when Nate went up to a photograph of Gen. McClellan and Abraham Lincoln, pointed to Lincoln and said, "Mama!  That Abraham Lincoln.  He dead."
I was less impressed when we had to leave the Ranger talk on artillery because of Nate's incessant use of the word "butt" and his inability to modulate his voice beyond a loud setting.
Oh, well.
Batting .500.
I'll take it*

We got some time in playing outside and the kids got to watch some cartoons (waaaay into "Little Einstein" recently).  We even had a decent dinner until we noticed Nate ate his paper napkin.
Seriously.
And he liked it.
We are in so much trouble.

"Mama.  That say  'CSA.  And my butt'."

Time for an animal cracker break near while investigating the monuments. 

Showing off wounds incurred from a hard fought battle with the sidewalk. 

We're just happy to be here, hope we can help the ballclub and the Good Lord willin' things will all work out. 

Writing about how perspective changes when you move on the battlefield.  I think she was starting to understand that the terrain of the field determined everything that happened that day.  Pretty fascinating, actually. 

Resting at the NY monument.  Question of the day, "If coming here was Lee's first invasion into the North, then why do we say we live in the South?  We live in Maryland.  It was in the North, right?"  I let the Ranger explain to her that Lincoln had very persuasive means of getting Maryland legislators to vote to stay Union.  I learned a lot, too.  Every time I go a National Park I learn something new.  It's great we have so many of these nearby to take advantage of.  If we are ever bored living here, it's our own fault. 

Showing off their badges.
 AND LOOK WHO DECIDED TO RIDE HIS BIKE!!!!!!!
Only took 19 months after Santa delivered it for him to get on...but he did well - especially after so much riding in Rochester. 
He's something else, I tell you. 
"Look Mom.  This is how I engage the brakes."



1 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

"Engage the brakes" .... love that.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home