Boilermaker.
I don't know what the heck took me so long to run the Boilermaker (besides the fact that until October, I had never run more than 2 miles in a row at one time).
Seems like most people I know from that area have run it at least once and have rave reviews about it.
Turns out they're right.
Best. Race. Ever.
I have to admit, I was a bit nervous when I heard it touted as the "most competitive 15k race in the United States". I'm not competitive like THAT. It's more of a competition to see IF I can get myself over the finish line.
Frankly, I wasn't thrilled about going back to Utica, either. It's a town like Worcester, just with more sections that you don't want to go in. Not real pretty.
But Patrick was all for it, so I set my alarm for midnight one day in January so I could get up and register. I signed up 3 hours after registration opened and I was nearly the 5000th runner. Dang.
The first 10k are uphill. The golf course was brutal, especially considering that I saw Patrick about 1/2 mile ahead and was busting butt to catch up to him.
The spectators were great. Almost every inch of the 9.3 miles were shoulder to shoulder people.
There were kids handing out popsicles, people spraying us with garden hoses (there is a special place in heaven for these folks), singers, dancers, drum circles, DJs, Italian bands, firetrucks, public works trucks spraying water, more volunteers than I have EVER seen at a race, spectators handing out ice, a polka band (really helped me get through the golf course) and a gaggle of bagpipers at Mile 9 that almost made me cry. I got a lot of shouts about my Red Sox hat and went out of my way to slap hands with every Sox fan I saw and every kid along the course dressed as a super hero (there were more than you would think).
I did catch up to Patrick eventually (though Sarah Leahy BLEW by us) and we did okay, despite the heat and Patrick's feet/hips.
The last 5k were downhill and the street was smaller, making control more of an issue. People were dropping. My inclination was to not stop until I had a cold Saranac in hand. Yuppers, beer and fear ARE the biggest motivators...
Sibling rivalry still exists since once the finish line was in sight, we both sprinted, shouting mean things at the other, only with smiles on our faces. ;)
1:38:59.
This is a race that it's okay to go a bit slower during and enjoy.
Already looking forward to next year.
![]() |
| Pre-race antics at the hotel. Had to get the Tempo in the picture. It's surprising that thing doesn't have antique plates! :) |
![]() |
| More antics. |
![]() |
| Saranac has never tasted so good. |
I have been paired up with a little boy who is rockin' his extra chromosome.
He is amazing and I am very grateful to be running for him.
If you are able to do something like this, I encourage you to do it. I have learned a lot in just the week or so I have been running for Ethan. But more importantly, I've been able to teach people a lot, too.
And that's what it's for.










0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home