Saturday, June 22, 2013

West Virginia

As much as I snicker at West Virginia (who hasn't seen Deliverance?!?!), for the small amount of time that I have spent there, I enjoy it immensely. 

I was trying to explain it to Jim the other day and did a very poor job.  I could come up with nothing other than it's just easier for me to breathe on the other side of the Shenandoah.  \

We had some White Space on the calendar today, so we decided this morning to meander up to Harpers Ferry to have a look-see around Jefferson Rock.  Caroline, who has been super into her Civil War book lately, was nice enough to pack our snacks in her backpack and prompt us to get moving.  Unbeknownst to us, it was the 150th anniversary of West Virginia's statehood and there was a celebration including voting, painting, dress up, Ranger presentations, an election cake and an 1850s style baseball game. 
Cool!
Apparently other people DID realize the significance of the date.  We were able to count cars from 21 states, the federal government and the diplomatic corps in the upper parking lot. 
Big doings.
The kids were able to do some water color painting down in the village.  Caroline wowed one of the Rangers with her ability to keep up with him in historical discussions (he asked us, "Is she for real?" and we could only nod our heads), Daddy got to dress up like an Union Officer and we learned that Jim had family that fought in the Civil War in a NJ regiment that Caroline would love to learn more about (we have homework).  We were interviewed by a local newspaper reporter about our participation in the anniversary celebration, hiked to Jefferson Rock AND got to watch an inning of the baseball game.
Our stay at the game was limited because, even though we were able to construct a pretty cool shelter using the stroller, a blanket and a golf umbrella, we were powerless to resist the sirens of naptime. 
*code words = we had to get out of there quick before everyone destructed*

It was a good day.  And very much appreciated after yesterday. 

And now, yet again, I'm laying on the floor blogging while running blocker in hopes that Nate will get to sleep sometime in the next 30 minutes. 
Good for the mid/lower back flexibilty.  Bad for the comfort of the false ribs. 
Oy.

Nate - as he normally dresses.  Baseball on the top, various super heroes on the bottom (SpiderMan and Robin *only on 1 leg* today) and his breakfast all over. 

Benjamin enjoying his ride in the backpack.
 The Caroline and Nate painting, Sam playing with trains on the big map of Harpers Ferry.
 Up on top of Jefferson Rock.

 Daddy dressed as a Union Officer.  According to Caroline, he carried a pistol and a sword.  Turns out she was right. 
 The view down the Shenandoah from Jefferson Rock. 



PS - I have no idea how I embedded the picture of Nate into the text.  I'm afraid I'll lose the text if I try to remove it.  Ahhh...the new and exciting features of Blogger...











1 Comments:

Blogger Mary K said...

Hello Watson Clan,

We so enjoy hearing about our favorite Civil War places through your eyes. Thanks so much for posting. Your comment about Caroline and her Civil War expertise made me think of a time, several years ago, when we were in G-burg. We were taking a ranger led tour on Little Round Top. Erin was in the thick of her Civil War obsession. She asked the ranger a question about the 140th NY. He turned to her and said "That's the best question I have ever had"! I guess it's in the genes!!! Thanks again for sharing:)

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home