Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

Winding down the weekend. 
Just blogging, relaxing and listening to the Dodgers pre-game. 
Scully is talking about how Buzz Aldrin is an amazing testament to this country.  Funny - I think the same about Scully.  


We had a wonderful weekend. 
We had planned to go up to the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historic Park on Saturday.  However, by the time we got to Brunswick, 3/4 of our brood was fast asleep and we were loathe to wake them up.  So we kept driving until we hit the Manassas National Battlefield.   Interesting stuff. 
Of course, employing a zone defense with four little ones leaves precious few moments for learning the history I should have learned years ago, but it was nice to just be on the battlefield and do some hiking.  Caroline and Sam both worked on their Jr Ranger Badges.  Caroline earned hers.  Sam has one more activity to go until he finishes his up. 
The Zouave soldiers freaked Sam out - so we had to split squads to minimize his exposure to them.  That was okay - it was windy and Sam & I got to spend more time in the museum. 
We got to see our first cicadas.  Coming to Maryland soon...
We drove around Centreville and found Jim's childhood house. 
Fun day!


The Nate quote of the day today was really, really funny.  Nate was playing with Sarah (Caroline's American Girl Doll).  He had Sarah doing cartwheels, splits and somersaults.  He was very proud of her accomplishments. 
"Look Mama!  Sarah turning tricks!!!"
I couldn't stifle my laughter.  Heeheehee. 

Nate also gave us a run for our money on Friday night.  We went to Wegmans for dinner (Mama wanted the night off).  We saw a co-worker of Jim's from Hopkinton.  The boys had been playing tag before we left and had been fairly quiet and well behaved for the ride. 
We were standing and talking.  A nice conversation, actually. 
Until Nate run up to the man, slapped him in the crotch and yelled, "TAG!!!  YOU'RE IT!!!"
Oy.  Vey. 

Getting ready for t-ball, soccer and school to all wind down in the next few weeks.  We just got the news that, contrary to what we have been told, the funding for Caroline's class has not been approved for next year.  And it's late enough that, if the funding doesn't go through, we cannot appeal to the district for Caroline to at least attend the school that she goes to now, even if she isn't in the magnet program.  Grrrrrr.  So this would make it the 5th change of schools for this poor girl in the past three years. 
Because homeschooling really wasn't on my To-Do list for next year. 
The more "acquainted" I get with the Frederick County School Board, the more I wonder WHO VOTED FOR THESE CHUMPS?!?!?!?!?  It's obvious they don't want to get re-elected.  I'll stop here because I'll just get mad and rant.  I'll stop after I say that I firmly believe that Frederick County has some of the best teachers, students and schools in the nation and that I'm not sure the Board of Education is doing the best they can to perpetuate that. 

90s coming up for this week.  Should be perfect for some hiking...a little hot for running.  But I have to get used to it.  It's going to feel like I'm running through a swamp in Baltimore in June, I'm sure. 

Have a great week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home