Sunday, February 24, 2013

Herkimer Diamonds

There are dishes in the sink.  Clothes in the dryer.  Clothes on the floor waiting to be folded and put away.  Toys to be picked up.  Dinner to be made.
But both boys are asleep and while I can fold clothes and make dinner while holding an infant, writing a (semi)coherent thought is near to impossible without everyone under the age of 8 sleeping.

The sleeping is to be celebrated.  Benjamin, since he has come home from the hospital, as decided he no longer likes to sleep.  We're getting chunks of 2-3 hours at a time now at night and we're lucky if we get an hour during the day.  He has started on solid food and that doesn't seem to be helping.  The boy is hungry and eats a lot, so maybe it's a growth spurt.  Regardless (or, as Caroline likes to say...irregahdless), I am pining for my good little sleeper.
Nate has also been having nightmares.  Caroline just doesn't sleep, which, we're told is normal for children like her.  I asked her what she did the other night and her reply was, "Oh, I read the Chronicles of Narnia."  I asked her if she read the first or second book and her nonchalant answer was, "Oh - I read them both.  They were really good."
For the past few weeks, with all of this, we've been up at least four times a night.  Thank goodness for Sam, our good sleeper.  Who thought we would ever say that five years ago?!?

Today has been a lather...rinse...repeat...kind of day.  It seems as soon as I'm finished with one thing, it's time to do it again.  I got done with the kitchen right before story time and then it was time for lunch.  The kitchen is almost done after lunch and already it's time to think about dinner.  I do at least one load of laundry (wash, dry, fold, put away) a day... so that's omnipresent...but today I just want to sit.

Story time at the library was fun.  We read a book written by Jimmy Fallon (Sam's favorite) and Miss Adrian was unaware of Jimmy's singing abilities - so Sam took it upon himself to educate her.  Not that "Naughty By Nature" has ever been sung in Walkersville...but still.  She was unaware of his "Reading Rainbow" parody.  We'll have to be sure to send that along. 

Oh - and in the "She really can't make this stuff up" category...THIS is what I witnessed at lunch today. 




Sometimes he got his mouth.  Sometimes he didn't.
He didn't even want to take off the helmet for naps.
The more boys I have, the more I think is lost in translation between XX and XY.

And now Benjamin is awake.  Vacation is over. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home