Thursday, August 23, 2012

Back to Reality

Well, Nina just left.  We dropped her off at the shuttle to go to the airport and I don't think there was a dry eye on anyone.  Nate cried for her most of the way home.  Caroline was none too happy, either.  Sam was sleepy (read: grumpy) and Ben was less than charming, too. 
It was awesome. 

So we got home, had a dinner of leftovers, got everyone in the bath and set up for baseball night.  Nate couldn't handle the whole "be on my best behavior" thing and was banished to his bedroom (where he just stopped crying).  Sam and Caroline have been given their last warning and if there is any more anything then they will be banished as well.  We decided to give Ben a mulligan if he was fussy because we have no place to banish him to.  =-)
Things I'm sure will be interesting over the next few days.  Just the beginning of school is enough to throw things into a tailspin, so I can only imagine what having Ben around is going to do.  I was feeling very overwhelmed when I looked on the blog at this time last year and realized that I was overwhelmed then, too.  Just in a different way. 
I feel bad for Nate, especially.  I think he feels particularly jilted with Ben's arrival.  At the same time, even though he is two, he needs to learn the world does not revolve around him.  So we're trying to make him walk the straight and narrow while cutting him a little slack at the same time.  Come to think of it, it's like that with all the kids.  Put this with caring for a newborn and trying to get some time to actually have an adult conversation with my husband and I'll admit it, it's really tough.  I'm tired.  Physically and mentally. 
I think it will get easier?  I hope it will get easier?  It has to get easier? 
I'm not sure.  But we'll keep learning and adapting.  Keep playing Calvinball.  And we might figure things out.   
Eventually. 

Here is Ben in the bassinet we were fortunate enough to borrow.  Super duper handy. 

We went to the Cactoctin Mountain Orchard today to pick up some honey butter for school lunches.  
They were out.  
So we took advantage of the scenery.  
It is very pretty in Maryland.  
Who knew?



 Then we took Nina out to lunch at Uno's.  It's going to be a loooong time before we go out to eat again.  Eating at a restaurant with four children is *ahem* challenging. 
As much as I'm going to miss the occasional treat, I have to admit I'm looking forward to all the money we'll save. 


Mr. Ben looking rather pensive.  His eyes are a dark grey color.  I think they're darker than the other kid's eyes were.  I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up being brown.  
Of course, with our track record, I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up staying grey, either. 

Everyone was enamored by the National Geographic special on the dinosaur mummy found in North Dakota.  Sometimes I think Netflix is the best $7.99 I spend during the month. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home