From Palm Springs...
...I don't want to jinx anything, but Sonora is up by two runs. It's only the fourth inning - but I don't think I've heard them have a lead in any game I've listened to. I'm hopeful. We found that the Palm Springs Chill also broadcast their games. The announcer seems decent (scratch that - now it's the middle of the fifth inning and he's talking about football and doesn't seem to realize that he's being broadcasted), but Sam is having a rough night - so I can't hear much.
My sources in Yuma tell me that Matt "did good" in the field in yesterday's game, but the official stats are yet to be put up. Hopefully I'll be sent some pictures of the action soon. HINT, HINT.
Oh - and one thing...if you're planning on listening to the games...keep in mind that the games in
Palm Springs are in Pacific Time and the games in Yuma are in Mountain Time. I don't know how people keep things straight out there...I can barely keep my life in order living in one time zone.
From the Yuma Sun:
Yuma pounds out nine extra-base hits
February 8, 2008 - 12:46PM
The Yuma Scorpions will get their first chance to play as a road team tonight in Palm Springs, but as the visiting team at Desert Sun Stadium on Thursday night they did just fine taking first at-bats.
Henry Calderon's double and run in the opening frame of the game against the Sonora Pilots were the first of nine extra-base hits and 19 runs for the Scorpions in an 19-2 victory.
Thirteen different Yuma players recorded the team's 20 hits, but Scorpions manager Mike Marshall said he was more impressed with his four horses that took the mound and only gave up seven hits and one walk.
"I love pitching," he said. "That's been the key. I'm so happy to have a good solid pitching staff. It looks like I know what I'm doing, but really it's these guys that pitch for us in Yuma and live around here."
Among those familiar Scorpions playing Thursday was Ray Devaul, who had one earned run on two hits in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings, and Glendale Community College product Shaun Majlinger pitched two scoreless innings to end the long night for the Pilots, whose only substitutions of the night were for pitching purposes.
"Some of the teams have decided to split their teams into Team 1 and Team 2, but not by talent," Marshall said. "One team plays the whole game one night, and the next night the other team plays the whole game, but I don't want to do it that way. I don't want guys to sit there all game. It's a mangers choice."
Already ahead 2-1, Yuma's rout started with a six-run fourth inning. After leadoff hitter Kiki Sanchez reached on an error, Sonora pitcher Ryan Weber brought him home walking and hitting the next three batters. Once Weber found the strike zone, Mike Campbell, Alex Lachapelle and Matt Voorhies each had extra-base hits to end his night.
Yuma went back to work offensively in the fifth with four more runs. Pinch hitter Mike Passarell ripped a two-RBI single to right field, and Lachapelle brought him home with a ground rule double over the wall in center field to give the Scorpions a double-digit lead.
The Pilots got back a run in the bottom of the inning, but Mike Porchas' leadoff home run in the sixth and Henry Calderon's RBI single made it a 13-2 game before Yuma piled on six more runs in the seventh.
Calderon, 30, a member of Scorpions' summer team and one of the elder statemen of the Arizona Winter League, finished 4-of-5 at the plate with two RBI and four runs. The Yuma native did most of his damage swinging on the first pitch.
"I come here to get in shape and I'm not gonna play all the games, so it's exciting when you get four hits in the night," he said. "You see the fastball right there, so if it's there you swing at it and make good contact."
Henry Calderon's double and run in the opening frame of the game against the Sonora Pilots were the first of nine extra-base hits and 19 runs for the Scorpions in an 19-2 victory.
Thirteen different Yuma players recorded the team's 20 hits, but Scorpions manager Mike Marshall said he was more impressed with his four horses that took the mound and only gave up seven hits and one walk.
"I love pitching," he said. "That's been the key. I'm so happy to have a good solid pitching staff. It looks like I know what I'm doing, but really it's these guys that pitch for us in Yuma and live around here."
Among those familiar Scorpions playing Thursday was Ray Devaul, who had one earned run on two hits in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings, and Glendale Community College product Shaun Majlinger pitched two scoreless innings to end the long night for the Pilots, whose only substitutions of the night were for pitching purposes.
"Some of the teams have decided to split their teams into Team 1 and Team 2, but not by talent," Marshall said. "One team plays the whole game one night, and the next night the other team plays the whole game, but I don't want to do it that way. I don't want guys to sit there all game. It's a mangers choice."
Already ahead 2-1, Yuma's rout started with a six-run fourth inning. After leadoff hitter Kiki Sanchez reached on an error, Sonora pitcher Ryan Weber brought him home walking and hitting the next three batters. Once Weber found the strike zone, Mike Campbell, Alex Lachapelle and Matt Voorhies each had extra-base hits to end his night.
Yuma went back to work offensively in the fifth with four more runs. Pinch hitter Mike Passarell ripped a two-RBI single to right field, and Lachapelle brought him home with a ground rule double over the wall in center field to give the Scorpions a double-digit lead.
The Pilots got back a run in the bottom of the inning, but Mike Porchas' leadoff home run in the sixth and Henry Calderon's RBI single made it a 13-2 game before Yuma piled on six more runs in the seventh.
Calderon, 30, a member of Scorpions' summer team and one of the elder statemen of the Arizona Winter League, finished 4-of-5 at the plate with two RBI and four runs. The Yuma native did most of his damage swinging on the first pitch.
"I come here to get in shape and I'm not gonna play all the games, so it's exciting when you get four hits in the night," he said. "You see the fastball right there, so if it's there you swing at it and make good contact."

This was also in the NYSL Website...after the fiasco last summer, I don't know what they think they'll do this year.
2/07/08 NYSL PLAYER UPDATE
Some 24 former NYSL players are currently playing in
the Arizona Winter League. San Diego Surf Dawgs: Pat
Burgess. Yuma Scorpions: Patrick Cummins, Mike Passarell, Matt
Britt,Brian Rzepka,Ray Devaul,Marc Sikora. Palm Springs Chill:Joe Dempsey,Brian Campbell, Shawn Ravenscraft. Sonora Pilots: Frank D'aversa, Ryan Grant, Alex Bardequez, Matt Leahy, Andrew Barbaro, Brandon Flythe, Ryan Weber. Blythe Heat: Ryan Crespi, Ross McCoy. Canada Miners:Brian Grupp, Jono Brooks, Jon Burke, Joe Walentin.







1 Comments:
audio for tonight's game: http://www.stretchinternet.com/krpbroadcasting.html
Post a Comment
<< Home