Sunday, November 03, 2013

Game 6 (continued)...

...So.
As I left off. 
Game 6.  Fenway Park.  Lots of TUMS. 
Visions of Buckner, Boone and Dent swirling in my brain. 
Three runs in the bottom of the third.  Are you kidding me?!
Then I got a text from my Dad. 
"OMG"
I had received a similar message in 2003 just before Aaron Boone stepped to the plate. 
The reply was.  "TOO SOON."
Three more runs in the bottom of the fourth.
"STILL TOO SOON?"
Answered with, "YES".

After having a small heart attack in the top of the seventh when Farrell left Lackey in, I allowed myself to entertain the thought that the Sox just might win in Boston.
Top of the eighth.
6  -1. 
It's time to wake up the kids. 
Our amazing neighbors left their front door open and their television tuned to FOX, should we have the need to come down and watch the end of the game. 
So it's 10:30.  We rouse the four kids out of bed and march them down the street.  I'm carrying Benjamin in one arm, a bottle of champagne in the other arm and a head full of "Oh - if they blow this am I scarring my kids for life?". 
But they did it.  They really did it.
Tear were shed.  
Champagne was enjoyed. 
And children (eventually) went back to a very happy slumber. 

I've listened and watched the game multiple times just to make sure. 
We decided it would be best to stay here instead of heading up for parade.  A tough decision to make - the parade may be a once in a lifetime opportunity.  It is what it is and we watched on WHDH. 
Tears were shed then, too. 
I am grateful we have friends here that, no matter where we go in the future, when we see clips of the 13 Series, we can remember exactly where we were, what we were doing and the people we were able to share it with. 


2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Great post!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Thanks - we are surrounded by some very special people. Did you catch in the picture how both Nate and Benjamin are asleep on Jim in the picture? :) Nate STILL can't tell you where he was when he watched the end of the game. :)

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home