Friday, October 18, 2013

Self Restraint.

Lest I ever wonder *just* how far I have come in the self restraint department, I will only have to remember yesterday and that Nate did not get thrown out a window or put up on Craig's List. 

You see, we had a wonderful morning at the Pumpkin Patch with Nate's pre-school class. 
A hayride, pumpkins, goats, bunnies, pigs, slides and bikes.  It doesn't get much better than that, right?





I figured after all that morning action, an afternoon nap would be an order. 
I was certainly ready for one. 
So I got Nate all situated and in bed.  Benjamin had already fallen asleep and was down for the count.
I was downstairs and hadn't heard a peep out of Nate in a while.  I was able to get cleaned up, get dinner made, sweep, pick up and mop the  kitchen floor.  And then I smelled something weird.  Kind of like nail polish.  I didn't think much of it at the time...I figured it was the stuff I used to mop.
Until I realized the smell kept getting stronger.  
And then I see a round, cherubic face peeking out from around the bannister at me. 
"You paint my nails, Mama?"
And then it clicked.  "Oh,no.  No, no, no, no, no.  Good Heavens,  Nate.  What have you done?  Show me what you did.  What did you do?!?!?!"
I could hear my voice getting higher and higher. 
Then I saw the rest of Nate.  His hands were painted all colors of the rainbow and his jeans were covered with blue sparkles. 
"WHAT DID YOU DO, NATE?  You need to show me what you did.  NOW."
He slowly led me upstairs to my bathroom where I found every.  single.  bottle.  of nailpolish I own lined up, open and poured onto the vinyl floor/bathroom throw rug. 
"I paint my nails, Mama!" 

After standing with mouth agape for a good thirty seconds, I slowly regained my faculties and very sternly reminded Nate that he did the absolute wrong thing and he would have to clean up AND hand his allowance over to me for as long as it takes to buy a new bath rug. 
I got some good tears out of him and then put him to work cleaning up. 
*let me add it could have been so much worse...but we're still trying to get the stink out of the floor...




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home