A Day Late...
As Sara has already pointed out, this post is late.
But I'm on stay-cation, so I think it's only fair to cut some slack. =-)
We have had a great past few days. Luckily, the weather has cooperated and we've had the most beautiful weather that we've had all summer. In fact, Jim and I were commenting that the cool weather has really spoiled us. Whenever the temperature is above 75 we find ourselves turning on the air conditioning in the car.
Since our time off as a family started on Friday (Jim got an extra week - I'm not jealous, really), we went down to New Britain, CT to catch a Rock Cats game (Thanks Pat and Erica!). Anyone that has ever been to New Britski will know how absolutely hysterical it is that we showed up on "Irish Night." Saturday night was a good game and the rain held off until just after the last out. We did end up staying down that way, though we were very apprehensive about spending the night in a hotel as Sam doesn't like to sleep, well, ever. But our prayers were heard and Sam fell asleep on the way to the hotel after the game and slept through the night in his own crib!!
We went to the game on Sunday as well. We got to meet up with some dear friends and had a wonderful time.
Anyone that knows me will know that I've been on a quest for the past 30+ years.
I have never, ever caught a foul ball at a professional baseball game. This quest has taken us to many, many ball parks and made us sit through rain and snow delays (hey - if there are less people, that raises my odds of getting a ball, right?), not to mention extra innings and positioning our seats strategically to (what I thought might) increase our odds of getting a ball.
With the kids, though, my quest has been put on the back burner. Our seats now are chosen more for available space, shade and where we're going to bother the least amount of people. In fact, we were in negotiations with the ticket office so we could get seats in the shade on Sunday. But after about the fourth inning or so, we moved over a section so that we could get a little sun. And don't you know it. After we sit down a foul ball was hit right at me! Fortunately, the rather athletic looking young man sitting directly in front of me had gone to the concession stand for a Slurpee - so I didn't have to worry about him. UNFORTUNATELY, I did not bring my glove. The ball went right in my hands (not without more than a little bruising - of my ego AND my hands) and then back out and hit my seat. It bounced to Rollin and he gave it to Caroline.
SO CLOSE! I couldn't believe that I had blown my chance that I had been waiting so long for.
But the good news is that two innings later it happened again- except this time the ball hit right in front of us AND I got it! I was so (and still am) excited! Technically, both Sam and Caroline got a ball at the game, since Rollin gave Caroline hers and Sam gets mine. But he hasn't gotten it yet. And probably won't (for at least a little while). =-)
Jim had to go into work today, so the kids and I had a vacation day by ourselves. We walked down to the Square to get donuts this morning and then went to the playground. We played in the pool and everyone took a two hour nap. It was lovely.
I'll try to get up posts as the week goes on of the things that we do. We're sticking very close to home and not going crazy - it's just so nice to all be together.
Here are some pictures from so far this week:
I cringe to think what would have happened if the water had turned on!
If he keeps this up, we'll have no flowers in the front yard!
To Sam's credit, he did keep the hat on for a lot of the time we were outside - he loves it because it's "Widdles".
Here are Caroline and Elena toasting to the wonderful weather -
Here is CJ all cleaned up after we went out for ice cream -
And here is Sam - NOT so cleaned up
Here is Sam towering over Mama while she is trying to read her magazine while the kids were playing in the pool today -
The kids were total monkeys today -
But all in all, the kiddos played very well together -







0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home