Ice Storm
The title just about explains it. A nasty ice storm moved throught the area last night. We are without power. We're a little cold and a little sore from moving a lot of trees, but thankful that my parents are here to help out and that no one got hurt.
We had a few dicey hours last light. We moved Caroline into our room because we feared some trees would come down on her room. Thank Goodness nothing fell on the house - but the yard and street is a disaster, to put it lightly. Tree limbs and wires everywhere. They're telling us to not expect anyone to get power back before Monday, but realistically, I think it will be Weds-Thurs AT LEAST before we start to see some progress made. Most of the houses in our neighborhood have simply had the lines ripped right off the house. And there's no way to get the trucks around until the roads are cleared, which is going to take a while.
It's very reminiscent of the Rochester Ice Storm of 91.
Since battery power is precious, I'll be brief. All pictures courtesy of Pops:
We're doing fine. So far - it's an adventure, but I think it may get old quickly. It certainly gives me a whole new respect for our pioneering ancestors. Because, let me tell you - I LOVE my hot showers!
Here's just a quick idea of the devestation we're dealing with - and we don't even have it the worst. From what we hear - Fitchburg to that...






Our new lovely Japanese Maple survived!!! This storm may actually be a blessing in disguise, since the weak trees are down, it will be easier to see the unaffected trees from the Asian Longhorn Beetle infestation. They're being militant about tree removal - so we're thinking mulch is going to be pretty cheap next year!















1 Comments:
I'm so glad you're okay, but I'm sooo sorry that you're without power! I hope it doesn't take that long to get it back.
Yeah, the pictures really do remind me of the '91 ice storm (and the '03 one, too, but that wasn't as bad because all the bad trees went down in '91). YUCK!!!!
I think we'll head to our tropical island this weekend, thank you! :D
Post a Comment
<< Home