Earlier in the year, when Jim was in Texas, it was difficult.
He was home for weekends and exhausted.
I was home with the kids and exhausted, though I would not have admitted it at the time.
It was stressful. We wanted to be together as a family. If that meant moving to Texas for a period of time, we were all in because we needed to be together again.
So when we were told that a move to Texas was not in the cards for us, we were mad.
Furious, actually.
Turns out the Plan the Big Guy had in store was better than we ever could have anticipated...but at that time, I was just pissed off.
So Jim told me to plan a family vacation.
Since we rarely get to go places where someone in our families don't live, I took this an an opportunity to go someone I've always wanted to go.
Being a wicked literature geek, the spots boiled down to
Mansfield, MO or
Prince Edward Island.
Jim, having the final decision, decided that a trip through Maine would be much more scenic than a drive through Indiana and Kentucky, and chose PEI.
Wow.
Everything fell into place.
We were able to plan to be there before the tourist season started where the rates would be lower and tourists would be fewer. We landed a beautiful little cottage on a tidal river and planned on doing nothing but explore.
Prince Edward Island has to be one of the most beautiful places on the planet.
Just as L.M. Montgomery described, down to the scent of the lilacs and the way the farm land transforms instantly into the Gulf of St Lawrence.
More than once, I cried at the beauty surrounding me.
We were able to explore different Provincial Parks, PEI National Park, Green Gables and Victoria-by-the-Sea.
The time change and length of sunlight threw us off, but it was worth it.
Pictures don't do justice.
We're already planning on going back and exploring more of the Maritime Provinces.
 |
| Benjamin was unimpressed with the scenery. After 10 more hours in the car, he was done. |
 |
| We hit mass at St Dunstan's Basilica in Charlottetown. It was an eclectic place. Traditional architecture, diverse congregation and music reminiscent of an Indigo Girls concert. |
 |
| Still lilac season in Charlottetown. Paired with the lobster mac & cheese, the smell could be described as nothing but heavenly. |
 |
| The view from our front porch. Flat Freddy had to get in on the deal, too. |
 |
| Lupins were growing wild everywhere on the island. They were stunning. |
 |
| Cabot Beach Provincial Park. The red sand and sandstone cliffs were amazing. The forest grows up to the ocean. The tides are huge, leaving lots of room to play and tide pools to explore. |
 |
| Anne's room in Green Gables. All the details exactly right - from the wall paper to the bedspread to the brown dress with puffy sleeves. |
 |
| A family picture outside of Green Gables. |
 |
I"ll admit it.
I cried when I saw the lilacs outside of Green Gables. |
 |
| Lover's Lane with the brook becoming in less of a hurry to get to the sea. |
 |
| The scenery was beautiful. The mosquitoes were hungry. Makes for a fast hike. |
 |
| But not fast enough to skip a picture. We have to take advantage of getting a picture of the two of us. For the past ten years we haven't been in many pictures together. |
 |
| Even the chipmunks are friendly in Canada. He walked right up to us on the trail. |
 |
| Green Gables was as far back from the road as it could be. |
 |
| Because when I get the kids to sit for a picture, I really need Jim to start acting up! |
 |
| Exploring the tide pools at PEI National Park. |
 |
| Nate carved a rock in the shape of a heart out of sandstone. |
 |
| I think this is the first family picture where no one had to be coerced to sit still. Probably because a total stranger was taking it. |
 |
| The brook from Green Gables as it approaches the Gulf of St Lawrence. |
 |
| Who knew there were sand dunes in Canada? |
 |
| "Maybe I"ll have blue poop like Uncle Patrick!" |
 |
| Caroline and I got to explore the river near our cottage. Since it was tidal, we could walk almost across it a couple times a day. The shellfish crunched with every step and clams were squirting everywhere. |
 |
| Argyle Shores Provincial Park. The tide went out hundreds of yards. It was beautiful. |
 |
| Everyone isn't looking at the camera, but at least no one is farting or sticking out their tongue. |
 |
| Nate found a heart shaped puddle at the beach. |
 |
| Exploring tide pools. |
 |
| There were at least 30 crabs in this one tide pool. Of course, the boys took them out and tried to make them battle cock-fighting style. Because even in a place of amazing beauty, boys will be boys. |
 |
| hermit crabs! |
 |
| Making goo castles as the tide came in. All those clothes will be permanently clay colored. |
 |
The kids brought some sandstone back to the cottage. They pounded it down into powder and put water in it to make face paint. They pretended they were wild animals for that afternoon. I was impressed by their imaginations.
|
We got to ease into reality with a few more days at the Lake.
Here's to more wonderful summer adventures.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home