Sitting.
We had a lovely weekend with Grammy and Grampy.
So lovely, fact, that we forgot to take pictures.
*d'oh*
We weren't able to get to the Smithsonian like Sam wanted to for his birthday because of the snow and had a very nice time hanging out at home instead.
A little breathing room this time of year is good.
So...instead of doing the 34 things that I had wanted to do today, I'm writing. This was #35 on the list, but I decided that it has slipped too far down.
This morning has been character developing for me.
Nate is in an "All About Mama" phase.
We hear the words, "Mama, I want you" or "Mama I need you" very often. And it's not that I *don't* want to hear these words...it's just that when they are spoken, Nate is usually attached to my leg or my belt loop or has my hair wrapped around one of his fingers while trying to climb up me using my c-section scar for a foothold.
Makes for a slow get away.
So - I had to dress Nate today because "I need you, Mama. I wuv you. I wuv all of you," (insert Mama heart melt) and "I need to pway wif your hayah." So he got dressed. But it wasn't enough to pick up his room, brush his teeth and go downstairs. He came in the bathroom while I was showering ( I was a captive audience), sat himself on the toilet and cheered me through my shower routine. "Wow! Good washing, Mama!" "Be sure to get you pits!" and "Mama, why you naked?" My efforts to hide behind the towels draped over the glass shower door were for naught - so I asked for some privacy and was amazed when he got up and left. Or so I thought...
He was really standing at the door. This is when I lost it and sent him away - resulting in many tears.
A bit later the situation was repeated when I had to go to the bathroom (Are you pooping, Mama? Good job pooping!") and when I had to get the mail and when I had to switch the laundry...you get the jist.
Cute and exasperating and tiring.
But mostly cute.
Unlike my older children, whose behavior resulted in a Gold Star Parenting Moment this Saturday at church.
Let me begin by saying how well the kids did in general this weekend. They were extremely well behaved. They had their moments...we all do...but on the whole they did great.
We left the Youngers with Grammy and Grampy and went to church on Saturday night. I did Children's Liturgy and with the weather, we couldn't count on having a helper other than Jim - with the Littles at home, it was much easier (thank you Grammy & Grampy).
We got through Liturgy. The kids were a bit scootchy, but were okay.
Until the Sign of Peace.
Sam did not reciprocate in a way Caroline thought was appropriate (you mean mouth covering and gagging aren't okay?).
Subsequently, Caroline tried to *make* Sam give her peace
Uh-huh...you-know-what followed...
Of course, we sit in the front row - so there was extra room for the knock down, drag out, WWE style smackdown that took place before we had to physically separate them and put them on opposite sides of the pew.
If the floor could have swallowed me, I would not have protested at that moment.
Ugh.
We did make apologies to the people in the pews behind us for interfering with their enjoyment of Mass.
Luckily, everyone that sits there was gracious and remarked how the antics elevated their appreciation of Mass (or at least said this to make me feel better).
I had a really big glass (or three) of wine when I got home.







0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home