A Few Thoughts...
Sitting here, before I drift to sleep, I was surfing through the NPR website. Living near Boston, there has been a lot about the Red Sox everywhere - even on public radio. I heard this piece the other morning after the Sox won the series and got a kick out of it. I have always sort of wondered where the Red Sox got the songs from that they use and this explains it. What I didn't realize is that they only started using recorded music at Fenway in 1998. So all of these musical traditions have started in the last ten or so years. It's funny, because now you go to Fenway and can't imagine not hearing "Sweet Caroline" or "Dirty Water".
All this talk also reminds me of Landau's theory (until 2004) as to why the Red Sox hadn't won a World Series. To him, it's all about the music. Take, for instance, the Yankees (his favorite team). They have great music. Win or lose, it's "New York, New York". Awesome song. Inspring lyrics. "If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere. It's up to you..." You know the rest. Makes you want to pack everything up and relocate to the City.
And then let's look at the Sox. The Standells sing "Dirty Water". First off - everyone knows Sinatra and Minelli. Who the heck has heard of the Standells? And then look at the substance of the song. In the New York song, they sing about how wonderful the City is. In "Dirty Water" they sing about water pollution, crime and repressed puritanical women.
Good times.
What does that say about us?
Landau thought "Think classy and you'll be classy - you'll never get to the Show if you have fungus on your shower shoes". Get some decent music and you just might win.
Luckily that wasn't the case.
But it's still funny. And the point is well taken.
Then I heard this on Talk of the Nation. What is Public Radio coming to when they put Fitzy on? I think it might be a before they have him on again. Sheesh. They should know better than to interview a crazy Paytoilets fan right before they play Indy.
We'll have to wait and see what happens.







0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home