Wednesday, September 07, 2022

This week's blog post is brought to you by a rainy day.

 As a kid, I loved rainy days.  As a baseball player, I love them, too.  

I love the feel of the mist as I stand in the batters box.  I love hearing the ground squish beneath my feet while running through the outfield.  I especially love the feeling of knowing I won't get a huge strawberry bruise on my backside from sliding because the ground is soft. 

Being the proud manager of a 10u baseball team, I wanted the boys I coach to know that feeling, too.   However, today is NOT the day.  I wandered out on the infield about 3pm, only to be up to my ankles in mud.  Hopefully we can get a gusty breeze to dry things out in time for tomorrow.  

Coaching is wonderful.  It is truly a gift.  I love baseball and I love teaching.  When combined, it's a little slice of heaven.  That being said, Benjamin is playing more 12u than 10u - leaving me coaching a team that my kid isn't on.  Which is okay.  The strain of having me be in a different place than the boys, Sam, Caroline & Jim is tough, though.  

But sometimes the stars align and I get to see moments like this...and it makes my Mama Heart burst.

Last game, Benjamin got to lead off.  1 for 2 with a single.  Not bad for a kid that just turned 10. 

Here's Tater.  Hitting 4 in the order.   Getting plunked ALL the time.  It's almost like he's the Little League equivalent of Kevin Youkilis

My heart is full. 

"Hey Dillhole - Coach said you couldn't shake me off.  I know where you sleep.  Do what I say." 

And then this happened.  Starting public school, ending public school, starting homeschool, Jim starting grad school, a new job, a cross country move, a pandemic and 5 years later...we get this



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home