Boilermaker
2014 has been a tough year for running.
After my right foot got too intimately acquainted with a roofing nail and this led to nasty case of shin splints, I just couldn't get back to where I was.
It has been frustrating.
Last year I ran over 1300 miles. This year, so far, I've only clocked about 500.
But I've learned a lot about conditioning, cross training,nutrition and prioritizing.
Things I never really *wanted* to know, but lessons that I need.
For a long time, I questioned if I would be able to train appropriately and do well at the Boilermaker 15k again this year. The Boilermaker is, by far, my favorite distance and my favorite race - I've been looking forward to it since last July.
After meeting with many Leahys on Saturday night for pasta party, my Dad and I ventured out to Verona. This was the first night I have ever spent away from my kids and my husband in 8 1/2 years. Once I got over the fact that I could go to the bathroom without hearing "Mommy Mommy Mommy!!!!!!" and seeing little fingers reach under the door, it was great. ;)
A weather warning had been sent out Saturday night about the anticipated severe storms coming in the area for Sunday afternoon. We were nervous the race wouldn't happen at all - especially after an edict was issued that if you didn't anticipate finishing in 2.5 hours that you shouldn't start the race because you won't beat the storms. An official announcement was to come at 5AM.
Thankfully, the weather held out and the storms that materialized were well south of us, so the race went off without a hitch.
I don't know if it was that the temperature was a good 20 degrees cooler than last year, that we were the first people on the first shuttle to the Start Line, that Sarah and I christened the port-o-pots, the sheer number of Leahy-affiliates running, the extra spectators, the old guys singing Huey Lewis karaoke on the golf course, the added cowbell or that running is my happy place...but the race was wonderful.
I'm pretty sure I smiled the entire 9.3 miles.
93:37.
A full 8 minutes faster made the beer taste THAT much better.








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home