Thursday, December 01, 2005

The Saga Continues...

Isn't it funny how Doug Mienkiewicz causes trouble wherever he goes? As a Red Sox fan, I believe this ball belongs to all of New England. As a baseball fan, I think this guy is acting like a real pain in the butt. Even though the precident has been set with many other World Series Winning balls, maybe this one should just be the property of Major League Baseball and sent to Cooperstown.
But back to Mienkiewicz - It seems interesting that he has run himself out of three organizations in three years - and the exiting of the last two have been done in ways that weren't particularly classy. A team must be REALLY trying to get rid of someone if they're willing to trade a gold medal and gold glove winning first baseman for a Class-A 1B prospect Ian Bladergroen and cash.

We'll have to see how this one ends up.

1 Comments:

Blogger JWatson said...

I dug this from Dan Schaunessey's comments at the botom of that Boston Dirt Dogs weblink you added - I figured that the ball was property of MLB, period. Dan says this, tho, from 2004 I believe (based on the context of his larger rant on a WEEI sports talk show:

"… technically I think the St. Louis Cardinals own the ball, one guy at the Red Sox said ‘the Cardinals buy the balls for the games there, we buy the balls for the games at Fenway’… MLB is saying it belongs to the ballplayer unless the Red Sox choose to contest it,"

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home